Roughing the Punter

Go Back   Roughing the Punter > Main Forums > The Chip Count

Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Thanks for the response CM. Wanted to hear from you.

I folded.

Turns out restaurant owner guy had 46 and LAG had 82o. Turn made the straight for restaurant guy.

Had I gone all in, I probably would have gotten them both to fold.
Turns out Tony was right, of course
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Marmalade, I like marmalade ...

Sorry for late response. I generally don't look at this forum.

Going all in would have been totally stupid given your stack size and that everyone had you covered.

Personally, I call, but I know I tend to call more than typical sharps in this situation so I might be wrong.

You have TPTK 5-handed and the only guy who has shown any aggression is a maniac. I call with the intention of calling down, but I likely end up getting away from the hand when the other player shows aggression on the turn. You didn't say how the betting on the turn played out (and of course it could have been different 3-handed vs. 2-handed), but a second player showing aggression would definitely get me out of this hand, especially when he has been more of a calling station up to this point.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencard2003 View Post
First thing u should do is learn the difference between a button straddle and a mississippi straddle
retard, that was a mississippi straddle on the button, op is absolutely correct.

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?
Old 03-11-2015, 02:10 AM

Everyone always says "oh this guy's a crazy LAG." Just because he was bluffing and you picked him off and he happened to have air doesn't really mean anything, people are going to bluff with total air a much higher percent of the time anyway since it's usually pretty dumb to turn a hand with legitimate showdown value into a bluff for no reason. Good chance his play wasn't bad anyway since your range probably includes a lot of draws and random ace high stuff and you probably aren't even calling 43 or whatever 100% of the time anyway, depending on how the hand went.

I think you're going way overboard with these super specific reads you feel like you have. You don't need to build some sort of psychological profile of these people.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe this guy was some sort of actual psycho who's firing it up, but most of the time when someone says "this guy was a LAG" it usually means they just play whatever hand they're dealt for any reasonable price and just show down lots of shitty hands. That's the majority of your random recreational poker player lineup, and I feel like lots of players who are very used to ABC sort of poker see that as such a hugely inefficient style of play that they just lump them all into a "loose aggressive retard" category, which is wrong.

Anyway, I think that checking flop is probably best, your hand has the most value as a bluff catcher since like every single hand that's going to respond to aggression on the flop you're flipping with at best.

Additionally, as evidenced by this thread, you didn't really have a coherent plan for how to respond to pretty much anything besides them flatting or folding the flop. If getting raised in a situation like that is going to confuse you, just check. You aren't costing yourself a whole lot by trying to extract a couple streets of thin value by betting flop, and you're opening yourself up to a whole lot of marginal spots since you don't really know what to do when you get raised.

I think the biggest leak in marginally profitable poker players is their insistence on ending up in marginal spots. Poker is so incredibly easy if you just plan around avoiding marginal spots. Leading this flop into someone who you've said has a propensity for aggression is a perfect example of opening yourself up to a weird marginal situation.

I'm not trying to say that you're a bad player if you're confused by this situation; on the contrary, it's definitely a weird spot especially given stack sizes. It's a really difficult spot, but a major part of being a profitable poker player (not just +EV in a vacuum, actually profitable) is avoiding weird tricky marginal spots. It's not that they're inherently costly on paper (they're almost always close to breakeven), but they tend to result in players second-guessing themselves, or over-analyzing these super specific spots and coming to weird conclusions, or just generally thinking they're shitty players or whatever other kinds of stuff that tends to cloud judgement.

Anyway, tirade aside, jamming flop is beyond terrible. You'd just be praying that you're 60/40 at best when called. Without any other mitigating circumstances, I probably check/call flop the majority of the time. If I'm betting, I am planning on bet/calling any reasonable bet and reevaluating on further streets.

Preflop is really weird too, but I don't really know why someone would mississippi straddle on the button rather than just straddle the button. I'd probably just raise pre five handed if it was actually a mississippi straddle. I can't really see a reason for just flatting pre. Probably better to just ditch if you're going to randomly flat pre.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubster View Post

Preflop is really weird too, but I don't really know why someone would mississippi straddle on the button rather than just straddle the button. I'd probably just raise pre five handed if it was actually a mississippi straddle. I can't really see a reason for just flatting pre. Probably better to just ditch if you're going to randomly flat pre.
there is no difference between button straddle and miss. straddle..

do you mean utg straddle or button sleeper?

you don't understand the +ev ness of having to act last preflop in a miss. straddle?

ps: why do everyone insinuate that i'm j7's beard/sidekick? why can't he be my beard/sidekick?
Old 05-17-2015, 03:41 PM

doesn't the option pass the mississippi straddle generally? i haven't played in a game where it's happened in a long while.